The Importance of Wellness Visits for Your Senior Cat
Your senior cat could could be hiding an illness right now and you'd never even know it.
This is a vital reason why veterinary visits for senior cats should never be overlooked. In fact, it's advised to increase your veterinary visits as your cat ages. Doing so is the best way to prevent any major health issues, and to help aid your cat's longevity.
Here are other reasons why frequent veterinary visits are so important for senior cats:
- Cat owners may fail to notice subtle changes in their senior cats and the importance of recognising them
- Health changes can occur quickly in senior cats
- Several medical conditions start to develop in cats once they reach middle age
- Cats, especially in their senior years, are prone to underlying conditions while appearing physically fine
- Early detection of conditions typically results in easier management, improved quality of life and less veterinary costs
- Frequency of behaviour problems in cats increases with age – a study* found 28% of pet cats aged 11-14 develop at least one behaviour problem
*American Association of Feline Practitioners – Senior Care Guidelines, Dec. 2008